[pygtk] PyGTK and urllib

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:57:28 +0200

Hi there,

I've run into an odd problem with urllib.urlopen() apparently taking a *lot*
more time when used through PyGTK (using LibGlade and Gnome) than when
I call the same routine through python only. In fact, if I call
urlopen() through the Gnome interface, *everything* in X seems to become
unresponsive; the only thing I can move around is the mouse cursor, but
since I can't click anything, it's not very useful.

Oddly enough in the same app I call urlopen() somewhere else that doesn't
cause this kind of blocking. But I did whittle down my code and it *does*
seem to be urlopen() in the second case.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

Martijn