[pygtk] adding gdk functions

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:06:48 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Michael McLay wrote:

> James Henstridge writes:
>  > On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Dave Reed wrote:
>  > Well, the gtk+-2.0 based pygtk will have much better support for the gdk
>  > types.  As they are all GObjects, the same code generator as used for gtk
>  > objects can be used to produce nice object oriented wrappers.
>
> The gtk+-2.0 Tk widget is suppose to be a gtk replacement for the Tcl

I think you are thinking of Havoc's port of the Tk text widget (Tk
contains many widgets).  It probably won't help with source compatibility
of Tkinter and pygtk programming, but it should make porting Tkinter apps
easier as the same sort of widgets would be available on GTK.

> Tk widget.  Have you looked at this yet?  This should make it possible to
> create a replacement for the Tkinter module.  The Pmw extension
> widgets for Tkinter could also be supported, but instead of being
> built out of the Tkinter primitives they could be native gtk widgets.

This would be pretty difficult.

> With the announced gtk cross platform capabilities this would make the
> gtk Tk based GUI more portable than the current Tcl/Tk based GUI.  Oh
> what a wonderful world that would be!!
>
> Is a Tkinter workalike in you plans?

Having a Tkinter work alike is not in my todo list at the moment, as I
don't have any Tk code to port (and I like the GTK APIs better).  It
probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a partly working Tk
compatibility module though.  The GtkPacker and GtkFixed widgets should
be enough for most of Tk's geometry management.

> Thanks for all your work on integrating Python with gtk.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/