[pygtk] General python/pygtk question

Phillip Ezolt ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:38:01 -0400 (EDT)

Ok.
	I have a simple question.   This is my first major project with both
python and gtk.

I am becoming frustrated trying to figure out what functions & properties
each of the python object have.

My current strategy is:
	1) Read /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py
	2) Read /usr/include/gtk/gtk*.h
	3) Read /usr/doc/pygtk/testgtk/testgtk.py
        4) Search the web.
	5) Ask the pygtk list.

It is alot of hassle that I am willing to go through, because I think
pygtk is cool.  However, my life would be MUCH easier if I could
simply ask an intstaniated object what methods it supports (as well as
any parent classes), and what variables it currently "houses".

	Is there anyway to:
	1) Instantiate an Object
	2) Ask it all of the attributes & methods that it has?

I've tried to instantiate an object, and then do a dir on it, but
all I get is: ['_o'].

I've also tried "dir(gtk.GtkCTree)". This gives all of the function,
but not the variables in the namespace.

It also doesn't appear to show functions inhereted from parent classes.

This might be a python question, but it would really help me with pygtk.

Thanks,
--Phil

Compaq:  High Performance Server Division/Benchmark Performance Engineering
---------------- Alpha, The Fastest Processor on Earth --------------------
Phillip.Ezolt@compaq.com        |C|O|M|P|A|Q|        ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com
------------------- See the results at www.spec.org -----------------------