[pygtk] A fill little questions about pygtk

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:30:59 +0800 (WST)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Serbian A. wrote:

> HI!
>
> I want to solve some doubts about pytgtk, if anyone could help....
>
> - What is the Gtkinter module used for (Gtkmodule x GtkInter)?

gtk.py used to be called Gtkinter.py.  The name was changed.  Things will
change around a little more with the gtk 2.0 based release (moving a
number of the modules into a gtk package to reduce namespace pollution).

> - What are the diferents between Gtkinter Objects and GtkObjects?

Which GtkObjects?  The ones defined in _gtk are very simple wrappers that
basically just hold a pointer to a C GtkObject.  The classes in gtk.py
provide an more traditional python object oriented interface.

In the gtk 2.0 based binding, these two layers are merged with the help of
ExtensionClass, which should make things much less confusing.

> - In the last version (that i picked up) 0.6.6 hasn't metions about Gtkinter,
> instead is gtk.py; is it the "same" thing, like gtkmodule and _gtkmodule?

Don't use Gtkinter.  Use gtk.

> - The package pyautomake is needed for compilation/instalation of pygtk?

No.  Nothing special is required to build pygtk or gnome-python from
tarballs.  You will require CVS automake to build pygtk from CVS.

pyautomake was a small patch for automake to add python support.  The
majority of the patch has been integrated into the CVS version of
automake, but I have no idea when the next release will be.  It is
probably better to use CVS automake rather than patching a released
automake with pyautomake.

> - Specifically, pyautomake is used to (aid) build python (pygtk) aplications?

Pure python programs will not need the python automake stuff.  If you are
building an extension for pygtk (which again will be a lot easier with the
gtk 2.0 based binding), you probably will need the patch then.

> Thanks very much!

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au