[pygtk] Auto-shrinking Containers

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Wed Jun 16 20:43:28 WST 2004

A Qua, 2004-06-16 às 07:55, John Finlay escreveu:
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>
> >A Ter, 2004-06-15 às 03:00, Dennis Craven escreveu:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Using PyGTK 2.4, I've added a gtk.Expander as the last (bottom) child of
> >>a gtk.VBox. When the Expander expands, all is well. But when the
> >>expander contracts again, I would like the parent VBox and it's parent
> >>gtk.Dialog to shrink down to original size again.
> >>
> >>What is the magic combination of settings for a VBox or Dialog that will
> >>make it snap back when the Expander contracts? I'm not having much luck
> >>playing with this.
> >>

> >  See
> >http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-policy
> >
> >  Looks like pygtk documentation is missing this method...
> >

> It's a deprecated function. I haven't included deprecated methods unless
> they became deprecated in 2.2 or 2.4

  OK.  You did well.  Gosh, I feel old... :-P
  Looks like it has been superseded by gtk.Window.set_resizable(),
documented at
http://pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-gtkwindow.html#method-gtkwindow--set-resizable

  However, it is not clear from the documentation how to specify the
auto_shrink=True with the new API.  Perhaps the auto-shrink behaviour
has become entirely deprecated in gtk...  I always thought auto-shrink
windows were annoying, anyway, but there are some rare cases when they
can be useful, like floating toolboxes.  I speculate that you can
simulate auto-shrink by queueing a size request after hiding some widget
inside the window.

--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
<gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>