[pygtk] Re: Packaging issues

Tiago Cogumbreiro cogumbreiro at linus.uac.pt
Sun Jun 27 17:44:49 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 09:18, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> >> There's a FAQ item on this (but for win32); I don't have personal
> >> experience here, but there are a number of approaches outlined in the
> >> FAQ entry that could work for other platforms. I'm not sure if anybody
> >> ever succeeded in doing this on Linux or Unix, I'd be interested if so.
> >>

> > I have sucessfully compiled a pygtk/glade program using
> >   cx_Freeze 2.2 (released August 27, 2003)
> > from http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/index.html
> > (you need to install cx_PyGenLib; a needed general libraries too)
> >
> > I had tried to compile my program with the freeze utility that comes
> >  with the python distribution but there was problem because gdk is a
> >  binary package and not a binary module...
> > can't remember exactly, it was last november.
> >
> > Then I found cx_Freeze and I was able to compile my program.
> >
> > Starting from the URL of cx_freeze you should be able to find
> > enough info. In anny case I have some note (somewhere) on
> > how to use it.
> >

> When I try this, on Windows, using Python 2.3 and cx_Freeze 2.2, I get:
>
> File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\glade.pyd", line 4, in ?
>    ImportError: cannot import name Widget from gtk._gtk
>
> The same error occurs in cx_Freeze 2.3. If you can publish your notes,
> please do.
cx_Freeze works, at least for me, I've tested it under linux first and
then on windows. I have created a log of this experience (the last one),
i have it kept in a very temporary webpage:
http://www0.s1x.homelinux.net/documents/Xpython/

If you don't want to read the full thing scroll the document right to
the bottom and read the conclusions.

Take care,

Tiago Cogumbreiro