[pygtk] idle_add and source_remove combination can cause freeze.

Dave Aitel dave at immunitysec.com
Fri Oct 14 21:55:46 WST 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:28:46AM -0400, Dave Aitel wrote:
>
>> Make sure you're not on debian using the 2.6 kernel - their threading
>> library is totally hosed, and pyGTK and heavy threads does manage to
>> freeze up or crash when using it. (As would any heavily threaded app I
>> imagine)
>>

> Switching back to the 2.4 kernel indeed seems to solve the problem.

if [ -f /etc/debian-release ] ; then
   export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
fi

./canvasguigtk2.py #<--or whatever your app is called

This script will "fix" your problem too, I hope. We think it fixes ours.
:> I assume it tells libc to not use futex(). I wish the linux community
would get on the ball and make a nice regression test for this bug so it
never pops up again. Right now my test is "Does the CANVAS gui work?".
Maybe your test script is better for that. :>

-dave