[pygtk] gtk threading tutorial.

Antoon Pardon Antoon.Pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 28 20:35:51 WST 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 07:47:41AM -0700, Brian wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-27-10 at 14:06 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> > I have written a small gtk threading tutorial with a number
> > of demo's and an (IMO) helpfull module. I don't fancy
> > myself to be a good writer, but I thought the demo's
> > would make up for that. Let me know what you think.
> >
> > http://www.pardon-sleeuwaegen.be/antoon/python/page0.html
> >

> That is a nice tutorial.  I have not had a chance to study it in detail,
> but from looking at your iotube.py and idletube.py scripts I think they
> might be more complex than needed.

Well that depends on your point of view. Originally the tube idea
wasn't gtk related. I was just not satisfied with what Queues
gave us.

> I will study it more later.  Attached
> is the dispatcher.py script that another developer on our project came
> up with and I tweaked a little and has been working very good for us.

Well I don't doubt that.

> The dispatcher instance can be based from any thread and allows a
> queue'd set of data arguments to be passed back to it without collision.
> It is also very generic and most any python data types can be passed
> thru it.

Well I made a version of my demo program based on this dispatcher, it
is at http://www.pardon-sleeuwaegen.be/antoon/python/demo3c.py

Unfortunatly I managed to deadlock it. Could you have a look at it,
to see I'm using it as it is supposed to.

--
Antoon Pardon