[pygtk] launching an ipython console

John Pye john.pye at student.unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 4 16:56:39 WST 2006

Hi all

I would like to launch an xterm ipython console from inside my PyGTK
application for the purpose of opening up a scripting API to advanced
users, as well as for debugging in difficult situations.

What would be the best way to do that while still keeping the main
application window active and responsive? Do I need to use python
threads, or GTK threads, or some kind or interprocess communication?

I could use the console from which the application was launched (that
would be easiest, right?), but ideally I'd like a new xterm or
gnome-terminal to open for this, popped up in front.

Any tips on this would be really great.

Cheers
JP