[pygtk] Show command output (new IEs4Linux GUI)

Brian dol-sen at telus.net
Sat Dec 9 00:26:30 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-12 at 13:41 +0000, Ed Catmur wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-08-12 at 03:38 -0200, Internet Explorer Linux wrote:
> > > Hey, thank you guys!
> > > I decided to do it with threads. See how it looks now:
> > > tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/news
> >
> > I just looked at your source.  You are not using threads.  you only
> > are
> > initiating gtk to allow threads.  The threads.enter() and leave()
> > functions are not needed in your code as is as all that code is
> > running
> > in the main thread anyway.   You have not imported and used the
> > threads
> > or threading modules that actually run the code in another thread.
> > As
> > Edward Catmur said. If you can do it without threads, it can save a
> > lot
> > of heartache if you don't get it right.
> >

> Nah, the threading module is imported (and the spawn/watch thread
> created) in ies4linux.py; the gtkgui file is just a module for
> constructing the gui.
>
> I really don't approve of the implied threading semantics, and
> reiterate that the non-threaded solution is always technically
> superior (especially in languages like Python with advanced control
> flow inversion abilities), but other than that the coding is competent
> enough for the chosen solution; it should work as intended.
>

> Ed

Sorry :(  So much for a quick look late at night when I should have gone
to bed.  I never looked at that other file.  I was also looking at it
with my own preconceived notion of what it should look like.  We got
away from the threads.enter() leave() pair long ago as it is too hard to
keep straight when a program is more complex with lots of sources for
initiating callbacks, etc..

--
Brian <dol-sen at telus.net>