[pygtk] accessibility mystery

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:15:19 WST 2006

On 23/01/06, Rich Burridge <Rich.Burridge at sun.com> wrote:
> Dusty Phillips wrote:
> > I guess that was all just a long-winded way of saying 'can somebody
> > tell me how to write a pygtk program that can access existing gtk
> > applications through their accessibility API?' Sorry for the
> > wordiness.
>
> Check out:
>
>   http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/richb?entry=using_accessibility_to_generate_an

Thanks Rich, I think that's exactly the start I'm looking for. I
notice it uses bonobo to access the registry, does this mean gnome
must be running? I tried the following code under pekwm:

>>> import bonobo
>>> registry = bonobo.get_object("OAFIID:Accessibility_Registry:1.0",
"Accessibility/Registry")
>>> registry.getDesktopCount()
1
>>> desktop = registry.getDesktop(0)
>>> desktop.childCount
0

Since I'm running firefox, I assume this means I have to enable
"something else" to get the registry to recognize the applications
available? The problem here is I will eventually have to run this in a
custom window manager, so gnome support won't be allowed. :-(

Thanks so much for the start, its great!

Dusty