[pygtk] draw_text (without pango)

Zoltán Kovács kovzol at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 21:18:41 WST 2006

Dear Developers,

I'm a satisfied user of pygtk-2.2. I use it for an advertisement system, I
wrote a marquee script.

I realized that draw_text can only handle a signed 16 bit number for the
input "x". So, if I give

draw_text(font,gc,-33000,y,text)

it won't work (-32000 is OK).

Is this a pygtk or gdk issue? What should I do to handle smaller integers
than -32768? Should I recompile pygtk and/or gdk? Unfortunately I'm quite a
novice in pygtk so currently I have no idea what to do now.

My example source is available on
http://wmi.math.u-szeged.hu/~kovzol/bottom.py which refers to an image file,
R88.png in the current directory. This image can be arbitrary, best is a
48x48 one. (The source is a modified version of PixbufDemo, a built in
tutorial example of pygtk.) The script also works with pygtk-2.8 (and has
also similar problems).

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Zoltan Kovacs

-- =

Kov=E1cs Zolt=E1n, http://particio.com/~kovzol
Part=EDci=F3 - Linux tanfolyamok, linuxos megold=E1sok