[pygtk] PyGTK 2.10 fails on Win32: can't locate procedure entry point gdk_cairo_set_source_pixmap

Robin Munn robin.munn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 00:53:32 WST 2006

I'm trying to get PyGTK 2.10 installed on Windows XP, and so far I'm failing.

I've got Python 2.4.3 installed in C:\Python24. I downloaded the Gtk+
2.8.20 development environment from http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/
and installed it in C:\GTK (which is the location it defaulted to). I
then downloaded (and installed) the three Win32 installers linked off
the http://www.pygtk.org/ page: PyCairo 1.2.2, PyGObject 2.12.2, and
PyGTK 2.10.3.

At a Python prompt, "import cairo" and "import gobject" work just
fine. "import gtk", however, pops up a dialog saying "The procedure
entry point gdk_cairo_set_source_pixmap could not be located in the
dynamic link library libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll." Once I click "OK" on
that dialog, Python gives me the following traceback:

>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line 48, in ?
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

If I remove PyGTK 2.10.3 (via the Add/Remove Programs control panel)
and install PyGTK 2.8.6 instead, "import gtk" works just fine.

Has anyone else had any success installing PyGTK 2.10 on Windows, or
should I simply wait for the Gtk+ porting team to get a Gtk+ 2.10 out
for Win32?

--
Robin Munn
Robin.Munn at gmail.com