[pygtk] Using Kiwi useful?

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Fri Sep 29 23:07:26 WST 2006

On Sex, 2006-09-29 at 13:14 +0200, A.T.Hofkamp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The announcement of kiwi here (at least, I think it was here, otherwise it was
> in c.l.p.a) some time ago was quite interesting, but after reading the online
> documentation, I wonder whether it would be useful for my application.
>
> I intend to develop a 2D editor for editing state-machines, basically a
> DrawingArea with circles (each circle represents a state), and arrows between
> the circles (each arrow representing a transition from one state to another).
> States have a name, and there are two different kinds of transitions. Last but
> not least, some states have special marking of being the first (start) state
> and/or being a marker state.
>
> Most of the work would be to handle the various operations that a user can do
> on states and transitions (at least that is what I expect at this moment). The
> Kiwi framework focusses on forms and dialogue boxes rather than DrawingArea's
> instead.
> Would it be possible *and* useful to squeeze my user-interaction of states and
> transitions in the Kiwi way of doing things, or should I build something custom?

  Sounds like you want goocanvas or diacanvas2.  Although kiwi does have
some  bits useful for all apps.

  Regards.

PS: try looking at a UML modelling program called Gaphor; might be more
worth to contribute to it rather than start from scratch...

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
<gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>