[pygtk] TreeModel from Dot Notation

A.T.Hofkamp a.t.hofkamp at tue.nl
Mon Aug 18 20:08:40 WST 2008

Patty Ackermann wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to make a treeview out of some data, namely produce. The data
> contains an arbitrary number of items, with each item representing a series
> a levels. For example,
>
> produce_list = [Fruit.Apple.Green, Fruit.Orange.Tangerine, Fruit.Banana,
> Vegetable.Tomato.Red.Ripe,...]
>
> The treemodel I want must look like this:
>
> Fruit
>    Apple
>       Green
>    Orange
>       Tangerine
>    Banana
> Vegetable
>    Tomato
>        Red
>            Ripe
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to how I could do this? I wish there was some
> way to interpret the '.' notation and get some sort of treeview out of it.
> Thanks a million in advance.

This is a general Python question instead of a pygtk question. You are better
off asking for help at a more general Python list, for example the c.l.p. news
group.

In almost all groups, people usually don't respond well to being asked to
solve some one else's problem for them. Therefore, I'd suggest you first try
to solve the problem yourself. Read about the string functions and
dictionaries in Python.

Good luck,
Albert