[pygtk] ANNOUNCE: PyGObject 2.15.1

Johan Dahlin jdahlin at async.com.br
Wed Jul 16 22:22:44 WST 2008

Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:38 +0200, Johan Dahlin wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce version 2.15.1 of the Python bindings for GObject.
>>
>> The new release is available from ftp.gnome.org as and its mirrors
>> as soon as its synced correctly:
>>
>>    http://download.gnome.org/sources/pygobject/2.15/
>>
>> There are two new significant features in this release series, initial
>> bindings for GIO. Note that these are not complete, please report
>> missing API in Bugzilla so we know what people are missing.
>
> Do you have some online documentation for this API?

A guy showed up and started to write GIO documentation. I have not seen the
initial work which he did, I'll let you know when I get my hands on it.

> This was a big job for the C++ bindings due to the strange parameter
> orders, the many optional parameters, and the need to guess sensible
> default paramter values. So I'm interested in how you did it for Python.

We're not binding the complete API, but from my head these are the
differences between the python and the C api:
* Add default values, NULL/0 etc where it make sense
* Swap argument order for cancellable arguments, so we can have a default
value of NULL. This makes it possible to do things such as:
gfile.read_async(callback)
* gfile.read() uses a return value instead of out parameter, just like
the builtin read method on file.

The rest is afaicr pretty straight-forward.

Johan