[pygtk] synchronizing HPaned widgets

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Fri Feb 6 05:34:48 WST 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 3:15 PM, John Finlay wrote:

> Stephen Langer wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> I'm hoping that someone can tell me if this is a bug or if I'm
>> doing  something wrong.
>>
>> I have two HPaned widgets whose separators I'd like to keep
>> synchronized.  Both Paneds are in the same VBox, so they have the
>> same  width.
>>
>> As described at http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq19.013.htp
>>  , I connect to the 'notify' signal for each pane to find out when
>> the  separator has been moved.  The callback function blocks the
>> signal for  the other  pane, changes its position to match the
>> first pane, and  then unblocks the signal.
>>
>> The problem is that the signal doesn't seem to be blocked
>> sometimes,  so the program goes into an infinite loop.  There are
>> easy workarounds  for this, but they're ugly and unsatisfying.  In
>> particular, the  program loops when the panes are first shown if
>> the contents of two  diagonally opposite subpanes are larger than
>> the contents of the other  two.
>>
>> I've appended short program that illustrates the problem.  Just
>> starting the program will put it into an infinite loop.  If you
>> replace paneMoved by paneMoved_workaround, the problem goes away.
>>
>> Why doesn't blocking the signal work?  Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> I've run this test on OS X with python 2.5, gtk 2.14.7, and pygtk
>> 2.12.1, and on Linux with python 2.4, gtk 2.8.20, and pygtk 2.8.6.

[ code deleted ]

> You have to allow the widgets to shrink - remove the "shrink=0" args
> from the pack1() and pack2() calls.
>
> John

Thanks for the response, but what if I don't want the widgets to be
able to shrink?  Is that possible?  Why isn't calling handler_block
before calling set_position sufficient?

  -- Steve

--
-- EMail: stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Phone: (301)
975-5423 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's
science."               --
--                              Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb
2003         --