[pygtk] PyGTK on Win98 and OSX

Chris Van Bael chris.van.bael at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 20:55:12 WST 2009

Hi,

I'm the Windows and OSX maintainer of Schoolsplay (www.schoolsplay.org)
Recently we have begun using Pango to support Arabic languages.
However, since then our program doesn't work anymore on Windows 98 (in
Virtual PC)

We have a module that does an import of pangocairo and it fails there
with the error: DLL load failed.
Now I found a post somewhere that says to try to import cairo to get
more meaningful messages.
So I did an import of cairo before the other one:
File "C:\PROGRAM FILES\CHILDSPLAY\.\childsplay_sp\pangofont.py", line 81, in ?
    import cairo
  File "cairo\__init__.pyc", line 1, in ?
    mò
  File "cairo\_cairo.pyc", line 12, in ?

  File "cairo\_cairo.pyc", line 10, in __load

ImportError: DLL load failed: Een apparaat dat op het systeem is
aangesloten, werkt niet.

That's dutch saying: " a device connected to the system doesn't work"

Can you give any clues in which direction I should be looking to solve this one?
It works fine on Windows XP.
Does Win98 support pango anyway?

Other question:
I downloaded GTK+ for OSX from here: http://www.gtk-osx.org/
However, where can I find a suitable PyGTK for it?
Or how can I develop for GTK with Python on OSX?

Thanks for the help,

Chris