[pygtk] Pixbuf loading too slow on Windows!

Dieter Verfaillie dieterv at optionexplicit.be
Tue Nov 23 03:04:18 WST 2010

Hi,

Quoting danieleisca <danieleisca at alice.it>:
> I'm trying port my image viewer on Windows, but I realized that the
> functions
> gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file
> gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size
> are at least ten times slower than on Linux. Has anyone notice?

As far as I can tell, both functions don't have pygtk specific
overrides. This means they simply execute the gdk-pixbuf (c library)
equivalent and return the result.

So the question becomes, what gtk+ runtime are you using? Did you
recently upgraded that runtime? If yes, did you see the same slowness
on the older gtk+ runtime?

This is important because starting with gtk+-2.18.3 the binaries from
ftp.gnome.org are configured with --enable-gdiplus. If you are using
one of the newer gtk+ versions from ftp.gnome.org then this thread
on gtk-list might interest you:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2010-February/msg00128.html

mvg,
Dieter